[Xen-API] [Solved] XCP 1.6 Storage XenMotion cannot move virtual disks between local SRs

On 3 Jan 2013, at 03:19, George Shuklin <george.shuklin@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Still not clear how to migrate VM's in the following cases:
- When VM is not online (vm-migrate insists it should be "running").
- When origin and destination hosts are within the same pool.

offline croos-pool migration is not supported, AFAIK. Sad, yep.
Yep, already found it in the list archive:
http://lists.xen.org/archives/html/xen-api/2012-11/msg00017.html :
"[...] but we don't provide an option to migrate a stopped guest. We're planning on making this work in the next release."

This is the reference of the manual process, based on XenServer Administration Guide "Section 5.5.6.2. Copying Individual VDIs to a Different SR" :

xe vm-shutdown vm=<VM uuid | VM name>
xe vdi-copy uuid=<origin VDI uuid> sr-uuid=<target hosts's SR uuid>
# returns the new UUID for the storage on target host
xe vbd-list device=xvda vm-name-label=<migrating VM name, to filter results>
xe vbd-destroy uuid=<VBD before detach>
# not sure if the VDI still need to be deleted,
# VDB's default "other-config:owner=true" is supposed
# to trigger the removal of VDI just after the VBD
xe vm-param-set uuid=<VM uuid> affinity=<new host uuid>
xe vbd-create device=xvda bootable=true \
   vdi-uuid=<new VDI uuid> vm-uuid=<VM uuid>
# vdi attached to VM via a new VBD
xe vm-start vm=<VM uuid | VM name>